Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Ahoy! The Brookwood is ready for occupancy

After years of planning, and a few months of building, The Brookwood is finally done! I made a video with detailed shots of the interior and the exterior. I also did a separate video of the construction of the house, documented step by step. I found it helpful when I was building the ones I've done so far, so I wanted to share mine as well with the hopes it may help someone else.


Video of the Brookwood-Inside and Outside:






Video documenting the building of The Brookwood:





I kept the kit basic because frankly I was intimidated when I started building it. A few minor changes that I made include making the 2nd floor fireplace square instead of oval, leaving the staircase open as floating stairs to save space in the kitchen, and the obvious changes to the bar area railing. I modified the ladder to the attic simply by using the pop out's of the ladder in the wood sheet as steps for the ladder. They fit perfect of course! I did not use the brace that goes across the front of the house either. I tried, several times, with several modified versions of it, but it just didn't look right.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel a connection to each house. For this reason I like to keep original designs prevalent as a nod to whoever originally designed the kit. I used the kitchen set that came with the kit too, and honestly I had to because the space is challenging and it was a good size. I flipped it though from the way they show it on the box. Each kit I finish I save the wood sheets that all the parts have been popped out of, and the instructions, in the original box. When I was planning the balcony on this house I recalled the porch railing on my Greenleaf Arthur house. I used those pop outs (supposed to be discarded wood) as the decoration on the balcony. A nod to Greenleaf, it's a common pattern for many of their kits.

I also have special items in this house, as I do in every house. The attic is an art studio, and the artwork was painted by my adult son. He's a beach kid, always will be, this house is actually perfect for him! Most of the shells throughout the house were collected by me over the years in my hometown, which is on a beach. The chart maps on the walls are all of the Gulf of Mexico and Florida. One of the large maps on the wall features the Boca Grande (FL) Lighthouse and a large tarpon, our local catch and release sport fishing star.

Of course, there are also several elephants in the house, as usual!


I wouldn't mind building another one of these to be honest. Now that I know how it goes together, I have ideas of some kit bashing and I think I could do it. If anyone has any questions about the construction please feel free to ask!

I have several projects in the wings, ideas are flooding my head because three of the projects are all different directions: 1) a Bakery  2) a shabby chic 2 color only redo of the Alison Jr and  3) these two huge Harrison's!!! I also have the Dura Craft Pioneer log house sitting in the box ready to be built....and for some reason I bought a Dura Craft "Ashley" kit. It has a spiral staircase that I will probably use somewhere else, plus I love Dura Craft windows, they have such great silk screen designs. It was $20 sealed in the wrapper still, I mean come on!!!!! The staircase alone justifies it... HaHa. I still have the Greenleaf Buttercup kit too. One of these two houses will end up as a bakery, just not sure yet. I am still thinking about that Brimble's Mercantile I just can't get it out of my head, and there are 2 on eBay right now ughhhhhhh. Stay tuned, one way or another I'm doing a bakery.


Thank you for looking!

~ Mini-Shack





No comments:

Post a Comment