Monday, February 10, 2014

Wall Hanging Tutorial

Tutorial: How to make Easy Wall Hangings for your Dollhouse




The living room in my Keystone of Boston is modern and African themed, so finding artwork for the room was challenging. I realized that I had the tools to make my own, and so I began...


Things you'll need:
Internet Access
Printer
Photo Paper/Cardstock Paper
Toothpicks
Paint/Stain
Glue


The longest part of this project is waiting for the glue and paint to dry.


Google what you're looking for, then save it on your device. Scale it down to 1x1 inch or 2x2, whatever size you need.
Print out the photo. I used a color printer with photo paper.

Please note: I do not sell anything I make. I use everything strictly for my own personal amusement. I'm pretty sure there would be some copyright issues if you googled the wrong photo and attempted to sell it :-)

Take 3 toothpicks and glue them together evenly

Let the glue dry

Make 4 sets of the three toothpicks glued together, one for each side of the frame (there are 8 pictured because I made two)
Paint or stain the toothpicks to desired color or shade and let dry completely
Glue the painted toothpicks to the edges of the photo


Repeat for all 4 sides, then let the glue dry

All done!!

Finished project on the walls


This is really quick and easy to do. I also made frames out of wooden coffee stir sticks, single toothpicks and some leftover chair rail pieces. Any kind of tiny pieces of leftover wood, metal, plastic or wire would work. You can also glue fabric around a piece of cardboard if you're looking for color, patterns or geometric shapes. The possibilities are endless!


Painted toothpicks as frames

Coffee stir sticks and leftover chair rail pieces as frames


You can print out your own photos of family members, friends or pets if you want to personalize your dollhouse.
 

There's many printable templates out there to make a lot of things for your dollhouse, they're pretty easy to find on the internet (or Pinterest). But there's a few other things you can do yourself too:


  • You can take a photo of your flat screen TV (while it's off), print it out, then glue it to a thin piece of wood, or black painted styrofoam and ta-da! you have a flat screen TV.
  • Take photos of favorite places, like vacation spots or monuments, or favorite restaurants or buildings and print them out to put in frames.  
  • Take close up photos of flowers in your yard, or anywhere you see them, and print them out to put in frames.
  • Take photos of your own magazines, newpapers and books and print them out real small and make mini's out of those as well.


 Like I said, the possibilities are endless!



No comments:

Post a Comment